Analyst Qarrem Kassim speaks about the impact of rising prices this Raya season on Nightline.
Supply disruptions over the past two years coupled with higher fiscal liquidity amid greater foreign import competition have strongly influenced global prices. Wasteful consumption has likewise contributed to resource misallocation and waste as it crowds out resources from lower income groups, with many borrowing to fuel consumption.
Other topics discussed:
- The nature of price increases during this season and how it differs from previous years
- Malaysia’s dependence on food imports and impact on prices
- The potential of an economic recession and its impact on current spending
- Exacerbating income inequalities through inflation and wasteful expenditure
- The danger of using credit/loans to finance expenditure for consumption
Full coverage below.